Fax Over Internet Protocol (FoIP) has become one of the most popular faxing methods over the last decade. FoIP allows you to send faxes over the internet rather than using older technology that involves costly equipment and materials and unproductive operating inefficiencies. The process works much like Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, a type of phone system that uses an internet connection rather than a conventional phone line.
While both concepts are highly similar, the most significant difference is the transmission medium. VoIP uses a service provider to transmit data, while FoIP typically utilizes integrated software and email.
What Is VoIP?
VoIP takes the sounds from a phone call and breaks them down into multiple data packets. These packets travel across a local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN) or the internet. At the destination, the voice packets come together and reassemble into spoken words.
The most significant advantage of Voice Over IP is its ability to compress and converge files into a single connection. Traditional methods required multiple dedicated networks to make one transmission, leading many to adopt VoIP because of the efficiency increases and bandwidth reduction. Despite the benefits, VoIP fax transmissions are sensitive to packet loss and delays, causing problems during reassembly.
Does Voice Over IP Have Fax Capabilities?
VoIP works well for email and voice applications where a few seconds of delay or missing data might go unnoticed. However, when faxing, just a tiny percentage of packet loss can cause a VoIP connection to time out and the fax to fail.
While many businesses have tried to use VoIP for faxing purposes, it comes with many potential risks. Some short faxes may go through entirely intact, while larger ones may break up during reassembly. The other risk is dealing with the consequences when a VoIP system goes down for a lengthy period.
As a result, even though it’s entirely possible to fax using VoIP, the potential risks outweigh the benefits.
What Options Does Your Business Have?
Several solutions are available to avoid the potential pitfalls associated with VoIP faxing.
- Use a legacy system: This is not the most practical solution, but it works. Many businesses move away from these older technologies because of the high costs and inefficiencies. Legacy fax systems involve stacks of paper, filing, bulky equipment and a monthly tab for inks and toners.
- Assign a dedicated line for each fax number: If you’ve already integrated to IP successfully but struggle with faxing, you can implement individual lines for each fax number. However, this increases your costs and creates more work for your IT department.
- Migrate to a cloud fax model: Using a cloud solution to deliver faxes over IP networks is ideal because it converts your fax into an email attachment independent of the transmission technology. The attachment prevents the data from breaking up while allowing you to send and receive faxes from any electronic device with internet capabilities.
Cloud Faxing Solutions From Softlinx
Cloud-based fax solutions are highly reliable and save businesses considerable time and money. Softlinx solutions enable you to receive, send and view faxes with our easy-to-use interface and efficient faxing methods. The process allows you to fax documents with the convenience of sending a typical email.
Cloud faxing encompasses various faxing options, like:
- Email to fax.
- Web portal.
- Fax APIs.
- Print-to-fax windows client.
- Network folder.
- Multi-function printer (MFP).
When you implement our cloud-based solutions, you gain access to a system that uses the most modern encryption to provide the highest protection and security levels. The encryption stays intact until your transmission reaches the intended recipient. The cloud protects your data better than physical hardware susceptible to viruses, hackers and theft.
How to Send Online Cloud Faxes
Once you’ve set up an online faxing account with Softlinx, the rest of the process involves just a few simple steps.
- Choose your method: Each of the cloud-based faxing methods offers a simple and efficient option for transmission, whether you select web portal, email to fax, printer to fax or something else.
- Enter your recipient’s information: Sending a fax to one recipient is as easy as entering a single phone number. Our platform also allows you to send the same fax to multiple recipients. Additionally, you can organize your fax phone book to contain group listings for even quicker transmissions.
- Select a cover page: Our software enables you to use a cover page if required. The editor allows you to customize your page according to your preferences and needs.
- Attach the file: The final step before transmitting your fax involves simply uploading the fax file. Our system supports PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT and many other file formats.
Our system also offers several other features for your convenience, including delayed scheduling and status notifications.
Receiving Online Cloud Faxes Using Softlinx
Once you have a fax number set up with your account, you can start receiving faxes from legacy machines or automated fax services. When a sender sends you a fax, we keep it encrypted in the cloud until it reaches your email inbox. We can also deliver faxes to a secure FTP location or shared network folder.
When you receive the email, you can view the fax, share it or store it just like any other attachment.
Benefits of Using Softlinx Cloud Faxing Services
Several advantages that you’ll experience when using our cloud-based system include:
- Cost savings: Cloud-based faxing eliminates the expenses associated with materials, equipment and maintenance used for older technology.
- Scalability: Adding new cloud-based fax numbers costs a fraction of the price of individual analog lines. As your business grows and you add more employees, you can quickly assign them their own fax numbers.
- Enhanced security: Our fax solutions protect all transmissions with advanced encryption and cybersecurity features tailored to each sending platform.
- Improved reliability: Cloud-based faxing eliminates the hassles of waiting in line, paper jams, machine failures and temporary line outages.
- Disaster recovery: If an incident requires disaster recovery, our system offers access to previously transmitted data.
- Increased efficiency: Besides speeding up your entire faxing process, Softlinx cloud faxing reduces the burden on your IT professionals, allowing them to focus on more essential duties.
Contact Softlinx for Cloud-Based Solutions Today
Softlinx has been a worldwide leader in cloud-based fax services and other secure document delivery solutions for over two decades. Our primary goal is to provide a reliable service for our customers that maximizes their profits and increases operating efficiency. Our first-class technical support and customer service teams stand out for their dedication and expertise in the industry.
To learn more about cloud faxing and how Softlinx can help your business, fill out a quote request form, schedule a live demo or call us at (800) 899-7724 today.
Comments are closed.