One of the primary concerns businesses face when considering web-based faxing is security. On the surface, a faxing system that makes use of an internet connection seems to be less secure than the traditional fax. But in reality, online faxing can be one of the safest faxing methods available. While a conventional faxing system prints physical copies easily readable by anyone with access to the fax machine, internet fax systems deliver faxes to an inbox, where it’s less likely to be accessed.
However, this assumes the faxing service provider has taken the proper precautions, like SSL encryption and multi-step authentication. Not all online fax services employ these methods, so it’s important to know what to look for when shopping for an online faxing service. For this reason, Softlinx has assembled some of the most critical security issues to consider when comparing possible web-based faxing services.
How to Assess Fax Security
When you want to choose an online faxing service to work with, keep your security needs in mind. While a company that offers no-equipment, user-friendly faxing at a cheap rate may sound desirable, obtaining appropriate security for your business is essential. Here are some primary topics to look out for and ask about:
- Password Protection: Ensuring your faxes are only available to be viewed by you, the recipients and your staff is a fundamental security need. Multi-factor authentication helps protect your faxing system at a fundamental level, so outside parties don’t have access to your faxing platform or your fax history.
- Virus Scanning: Incoming faxes sent online can carry viruses with them, just like emails, so it’s essential for a faxing service to screen them before you open them.
- File Encryption: Encryption adds an extra layer of protection to a faxed message, as it is digitally transmitted or uploaded to a fax server. This way, your data is still protected even if it’s intercepted.
- SSL Certificate:Web-based fax platforms use SSL certificates to create secure, protected connections in a customer’s browser, so any data you input into the browser is protected. You know the browser connection is secure when you see a little icon of a lock next to the URL in your browser.
- Standard Compliance: Depending on the type of business you run, you may be required to uphold specific security and privacy standards, as dictated by your industry or government. HIPAA and PCI-DSS are the two most common examples, with HIPAA protecting the personal health information of patients and PCI-DSS protecting the financial information of customers. Both standards require a certain amount of security in your faxing protocol and data center hosting, and any fax service that meets these requirements will say they are HIPAA and PCI-DSS compliant.
Other features to look out for include system logs, user tracking, and network management, all of which can contribute to a highly secure fax system.
Our Example – ReplixFax Security Features
Our ReplixFax Cloud Fax Service is a prime example of a faxing service that offers these online fax security measures, resulting in a facility that’s both HIPAA and PCI-DSS compliant, so you know your data is safe. A few of these security measures include the standard network security and password protection, as well as:
- Encryption: Softlinx’ fax and data files are encrypted with AES 256-bit encryption, which provides a high level of data security.
- System Logs: The system maintains detailed system logs, tracking users and all the inquiries, requests, retrievals and deletions they make in a session, which is essential for an audit trail.
- Automation: The ReplixFax system offers multiple automation options, including security options like the automatic removal of a fax document from the system upon delivery to the recipient.
- Compliance: Softlinx’ data center is an SSAE-16 audited hosting facility, which meets AICPA standards and is compliant with HIPAA and PCI DSS requirements, maintaining a secure network to protect electronic protected health information and financial data.
With these features, ReplixFax ensures a HIPAA-compliant online fax every time. If security is what you’re looking for, ReplixFax offers only the best.
Learn More About Cloud Faxing Services
Learn more about how the Replix® cloud-based faxing system is secure by contacting us today! Call 1-800-899-7724, email us at email@example.com or fill out our online contact form to schedule a live demonstration. Once you’ve reviewed the solutions we have available, you can also reach out to request a quote.